[RE-wrenches] grid tie sync with big stiff genny?

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Thu Mar 12 22:37:00 PDT 2009

Geoff:

We installed a large-ish system for the state of California
(http://mpandc.com/Portfolio/Commercial/Cal_Trans/cal_trans_gorda.html)
This is a location with homes, an office and workshops that has had a
generator or two running 24/7 for decades.

The premise was that a large generator system could handle the peak loads
and the battery based PV system would handle the off peak loads.  There was
no load segregation, but instead the design relied on a "quick response,"
multi sync-able generator system.  The three generators were to start, sync
and assume any loads in excess of those that the inverters were capable of
handling.

The premise was fatally flawed.  There is no generator system that can
respond to loads quickly enough.

There is a design philosophy that was violated on this project:  Any power
system needs to be sized large enough to handle the maximum load that is
possible to apply to the system.

We are now contracted to double the inverter capacity.  The load studies
were re-run but are still inconclusive.  We agreed to the capacity of our
installation, but we made no commitment as to the ability of our equipment
to handle unknown loads.

Load studies are critical to every design and each power source needs to
adhere to the results of those studies.

Good luck.

William Miller