[RE-wrenches] grid tie sync with big stiff genny?

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu Mar 12 19:40:26 PDT 2009

This should be possible.  I have discussed what it might take to set
up a system like that in the Gambia, with wind generators.  It would
take a control system with differential current sensors and other
features.  The UL 1741 specifications would probably need to be
opened up on multiple direct grid tie inverters. There would be a
practical limit on the percentage of feed to the generator mini grid.

This being said, I've not received much encouragement with this
idea.  There are a lot of factors to consider.

At 09:35 AM 3/11/2009, you wrote:

>Undoubtably many of us are getting interesting project requests as
>folks want to sprinkle magic stimulus dust on things to make solar
>panels grow...
>

>We have a project with a huge electrical load, pumping water for a
>medium sized city.  They want solar... great.  Easy.
>

>They had a power outage and kept running with 2.6 MW of diesel
>generators.  They are interested in solar's ability to do
>"backup".  I don't think that many batteries will fit in my pickup
>truck, and I hate working with 300/0 wire.
>

>QUESTION:  (and maybe its an easy one and the SMA guys will say,
>sure, we did that in Greece).  Is it viable to set up a micro-grid
>in this scenario and run an island-mode, with available solar
>reducing the genny plant demand?  Should I just say "forget it" or,
>at this MW scale, would the switchgear and effort be practical?
>

>Thanks.
>
>For a brighter energy future,
>
>Geoff Greenfield
>President