[RE-wrenches] Charging with Outback

Christopher Freitas cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue Mar 3 16:50:11 PST 2009

William and Dan,

Unfortunately, the sophistication of the older MX60 controllers and its
integration into the OutBack communication network was limited - there
was always an issue with the amount of code space available.   This has
been addressed with the new FLEXmax 60 and 80 amp controllers however by
using a much larger, more powerful chip and much better written
software.  This also allowed expansion of the data logging and some
additional new features as well.

The current OutBack control network is very sophisticated - particularly
when the FNDC system monitor is included - it allows true amp-hour based
recharging as well as "return amps" type control (i.e. charge until the
actual current going into the battery tapers off while the voltage is
held up at a specific voltage level).  The data logging built into the
FLEXmax controller lets you easily see how much time was spent absorbing
and floating each day as well - which is very handy...  The FLEXmax
controller also responds to the "global" commands of the MATE to Float,
Bulk and EQ.

The MX60s had several software revisions (too many perhaps) - and most
did not respond to the global BULK and EQ commands which were added
later.  Some of the early software revisions also did use the amount of
time that it took to reach the ABSORB voltage level to decide how long
to hold it there - but that was not ideal and it was changed early on.
It was a problem with sulfated batteries which is why we got rid of that
idea.

If you provide our Tech Support guys and gals with the software revision
of the MX60 and the MATE we can discuss the specifics of what your
combination included.  We also can upgrade the older MX60 controllers
with the newer software - although its not possible to put the full
FLEXmax software into an older MX60 unfortunately.  Software upgrades on
the MX60 controller vary with the age - but are inexpensive - and
software upgrades of the MATE are free - we also pay for the return
shipping to make it easier.  Please call first to get an RMA number
though to make it happen fast.

Getting the PV array to contribute to the equalization when a generator
is charging has always been tricky - this is usually caused by the
battery not requiring much current from either source - so one tends to
dominate.  The question usually is "why are you running the generator if
the PV array can do the equalization in the first place?"  Its better to
turn off the generator and let the PV alone do the EQ - the contribution
of the PV array really doesn't cause a lightly loaded generator to use
less fuel while equalizing...

Let me know if you need any more detail on any of this or if you have
ideas or problems you want to discuss.

Christopher

Christopher Freitas

Director of Research and Development