[RE-wrenches] Cost per kW of MW+ installs, solar and wind

roger dixon roger.dixon at att.net
Sun Feb 15 16:01:38 PST 2009

Hi Peter.  I have not been involved with large wind farms, but have a few
"wind parks", 2-3 to 6-8 wind turbines, in the feasibility stages.  My
question stems from the perspective of comparing both wind turbines and PV
for land size per MW and installed cost.  If I assume "approx 6 acres for a
1 MW fixed ground mount crystalline array, including fence and inside access
roads. Price excluding fence, road work, cable trenching, and grid
connection approx $7.50/W DC" is correct, then the comparison would be to a
single 1 MW wind turbine that takes up an area comprising a tower base,
parking space and an access road, presuming the run to the grid connection
is underground.  So maybe it is an acre of "disturbed" land vs. 6 acres of
disturbed land for the same rated capacity.  According to Windustry, "the
costs for a commercial scale wind turbine in 2007 ranged from $1.2 million
to $2.6 million, per MW of nameplate capacity".  So it appears that wind/MW
is seriously cheaper and also uses far less property.   Obviously, the wind
resource needs to be good as well.  I'm not putting a bid or spec together,
just trying to put the comparison in perspective and have it be fairly
accurate.  I'm open to any differing thoughts and/or corrections to my line
of thinking.

Wind farm acreage can vary due to ground obstructions, the resource and land
lease arrangements.  I visited a wind farm in NM that follows a river bed
for something like 22 miles and has many lease holders for the properties
involved.  Ironically, that wind farm, as well as many others around the US
is owned and operated by Florida Power and Light, a company with not a
single wind farm in FL, due to the lack (as I understand it) of an adequate
wind resource.

Thanks for all the wrenches responses.

Roger Dixon
Certified Wind Site Assessor