[RE-wrenches] Magnum MS4448AE Compatibility Question

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Wed Feb 11 12:26:09 PST 2009

Wrenches,
Thank you to you Wrenches who have responded. Keep them coming; I'm
collating all as part of our customer support on this. We have several ideas
to try out.

Darryl, it's not excessive draw. I had a Kill-a-Watt on the AC input during
on-site testing. I saw a momentary peak of 360W (for all, including AC
pumps). The observed draw sequence was 205W for the purge blower, followed
by 270 for the igniter for about 5 seconds, dropping to 220-230W upon
ignition. Later, the hydronic distributor's rep turned down the sidearm
circulator pump from high to low setting and reduced this pump draw by about
45-50 watts. AC voltage during testing bounced around in the range of
117-123VAC, but the fluctuation was not load-based.

At this point Magnum has stepped up to support us; we'll see where this goes
and how it (hopefully) resolves. Magnum has suggested a 50 microfarad
capacitor, per Peter's suggestion. They have also contacted the wholesale
distributor for Buderus boilers for New Mexico, and I believe the plan is to
ship the boiler to Magnum for testing. I may have further questions for the
list, and I'll eventually post how all this resolves.

Allan at Positive Energy