[RE-wrenches] Magnum MS4448AE Compatibility Question

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Mon Feb 9 10:44:21 PST 2009

I second Dana's response.  I have observed that the MS4448 waveform
quality degenerates quite rapidly with imbalanced loading of one or
the other of the 120 volt output legs.  I can't give a quantitative
(% distortion/amps) number to it, but I would classify it as
severe.  I first noticed it when doing some test measurements in the
shop, and found large discrepancies between various current metering
devices I was using, as some of the meters were not measuring RMS,
and the distortion was throwing them way off.  And when using 120
volt motors, even though their surge may be well within specified
load limits, count on things not going well.

I'm generally satisfied with the Magnum MS4448, but this is one the
two key shortcomings that I see with the product.  The other is the
idle power draw when not in search.

John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey, UT