[RE-wrenches] Mobile Solar power Center

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Mon Jan 19 11:36:09 PST 2009

Peter:

I have built several of these portable display units.  Allow me to free
associate some issues:

1. Who will deploy unit?  Our trailer has been damaged more than once due
to improper hitching, towing, backing, and mis-handling.  If you are at
every event, then no problem, but it ties up your weekends.  If others will
tow trailer, write up SOPs and get a signature assuming liability.

2. Will the unit be able to solar charge while parked?  We have developed a
method of folding panels for travel and storage where most of the panels
are exposed to sunlight and can keep the unit charged.  It was parked in a
spot for a while with limited sun exposure in the winter and this caused
problems with self discharge, but we remedied that by revising SOPs.

3. How do you handle loads in excess of capacity?  This applies to loads
exceeding the inverter capacity and those exceeding storage capacity.

The last time our unit went out (to the Wiener Dog Races) it was parked by
the promoters in the shade.  It was supposed to power a PA only but the hot
dog vendor plugged in and depleted the batteries by 11:00AM.  The unit was
scheduled to power a fundraiser that night, but I was unable to retrieve
the unit due to it being surrounded by booths until late that
afternoon.  This lead to frantic grid charging to get batteries recharged
in time for the evening gig.

Other times, we have powered lights for a street concert.  During the
summer, twilight comes later and we have adequate battery capacity.  During
winter months, twilight is earlier and there is not enough battery
capacity.  The loads are somewhat greater than 20 amps.  We have access to
one 20 Amp circuit, but when applied to the Outback inverter, the inverter
transferred loads and we tripped the 20 amp breaker which is behind a
locked door.  I wish we had used a Xantrex inverter with true generator
support so the inverter could assist and defray battery loss without
applying the entire load to the input circuit.  We eventually installed a
24 volt battery charger that can charge batteries from a current limited AC
Source and increase battery life with a given load.

4. Stability when parked:  We have had a trailer blow over with panels
tilted up.  We still need some type of outriggers.

5. Stability when towing:  You need side to side balance and a 60/40 front
to back weight distribution.  We numbered all components of any appreciable
mass and then wrote a simple spreadsheet to calculate moment (mass times
distance from axle, plus in front, minus in back).  We moved batteries
around until left to right moment difference was near zero and front to
back moment was near a 60/40 ratio with the hitch positive.  I have a
friend that supports weight and balance software for the maritime industry
and he ratified this process.

Good luck,

William Miller