[RE-wrenches] fire safety vs. fire hysteria?

Cvsolar2 at aol.com Cvsolar2 at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 05:43:48 PST 2009

Seems to me a good place to start setting folks straight is right here. I
couldn't think of a better forum to ask itchy PV safety questions.
         So, what is a good way for a half asleep not so overly bright
volunteer firefighter (most likely a kid) to safely neutralize an array in an
emergency situation?  Would they need to? How would they know? what are the basic
issues involved? Could removing stuff physically weaken the structural integrity
of the mounting system -- creating a falling debris issue?  What about using
a PV rack for staging? How about using a roof ladder on an array. What about
set backs? 6' -- 8'? we need to be thinking like a fireman here. i.e. they'll
be looking to make a man size hole shaped like an upside down triangle --
probably near the peak someplace. their tools of the trade are axes, pike poles,
maybe a haligan, maybe wire cutters, most likely a big nasty saw. and of course
roof ladders and such.? (I've heard of folks taking an ax to a battery cable
to shut down an off grid system -- guess they couldn't find the fuse.)
       Hybrid Car manufacturers (or someone from their ilk) came up with
suggestions on victim extrication principles involving hybrid vehicles -- i.e.,
never cut into anything orange, and for more conventional cars -- when you cut
the battery cables, always cut the neg. first (if you can), and always take out
at least an 8" piece -- to avoid accidental reconnections.
       Maybe develop a means to disseminate safety info about PV systems in
general. again, maybe right here is a good place to start?
       Thoughts? Comments?  just asking the questions. db

Dan Brown
President
Foxfire Energy Corp.
Renewable Energy Systems