[RE-wrenches] Solar System Certification

North Texas Renewable Energy Inc ntrei at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 18 18:26:14 PST 2009

William
I'd be interested in including similar PE fee language in my proposals. If you'd send that I would appreciate it.
I have only experienced a similar requirement once. In 2006 I was ordered to include a PE report, to local bldg. code enforcement, on a fairly typical residential PV install. I sent the engineering data that UniRac had online, plus a solid model CAD rendering of the roof with a cutaway view and details. They dropped the requirement for the report and issued a permit.
This 2.6 kW system was the first grid-tied & permitted install in the service area for Denton Muni Electric, Texas. Later, through the owners persistence, and an invitation for me to speak to city council & environmental committee, DME started the first PV rebate program in North Texas on Jan 1 this year.
The Wrenches information has been a huge source of good ideas and inspiration to me. I have created a Commissioning Report based on suggestions from other Wrenches. I also bought a Fluke insulation tester and am working on creating a report to document the results of GF testing on future installs.
What a great resource this group is!
And thanks for your consistent levelheaded input.
Best regards
Jim Duncan
North Texas Renewable Energy
Fort Worth Texas