[RE-wrenches] Solar System Certification

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Fri Dec 18 15:05:46 PST 2009

Brian:

I looked up the Municipal Codes
(http://www.ci.yorba-linda.ca.us/~ci26/how-do-i/get/get-city-codes) and
this requirement is right in there.  I hope you have a provision in your
contract that allows for additional billing for unanticipated engineering
fees.  Everyone should.  If you need language, contact me off line.

Fortunately I have never experienced anything like this.  This requirement
sounds unreasonable.  It is sort of like asking an air conditioning
contractor to have the air conditioning unit tested in the
field.  Individual solar components are listed.  The combining of the
components is facilitated by the manufacturers specifications and on-line
sizing tools. Having said that, an amateur can easily screw the design and
installation of even the most simple grid-tie system.  This provision is
the ultimate consumer protection.  It sounds onerous at first but does have
a benefit.

Good luck, and give us a hint how much this certification costs.

William Miller

At 01:31 PM 12/18/2009, you wrote:
>I am curious if any of you have had to deal with this issue before.
>
>The following is an item we got back from the City of Yorba Linda for a
>Plan Check correction:
>

>  All electrical solar systems shall be tested and approved by a
> California Registered Electrical Engineer.  The engineer shall furnish a
> report stating their name, registration number, its date of expiration,
> address where the testing occurred and the dates of testing and
> approval.  Such report shall be presented to the City inspector for
> approval at the time of final inspection.  (YLMC 15.28.020)  Note on the plans.
>
>All experiences and suggestion are appreciated.
>

>Best Regards,
>Brian C. White
>Design Engineer - PV Systems
>
>Eagle Roofing Products
>120 North Auburn Street - Suite 212
>Grass Valley, CA  95945
>Phone: 530-273-2948
>Cell: 530-575-5550
>e-mail: brianw at eagleroofing.com <mailto:brianw at eagleroofing.com>

>List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
>Options & settings:

>List rules & etiquette:
>www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
>Check out participant bios:
>www.members.re-wrenches.org

>12/17/09 23:35:00

Please note new e-mail address and domain:

William Miller
Miller Solar
Voice :805-438-5600
email: william at millersolar.com