[RE-wrenches] Strings and series of batteries

Hugh hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Thu Dec 3 23:47:00 PST 2009

Tom,

Sorry, I failed to write clearly. I was not talking about bus bars in
this sentence.  I meant to say that I 'daisy chain' links from one
string to the next.  I parallel them by connecting A to B, B to C, C
to D.  Then I connect positive of A to the inverter, and negative of
D to the inverter.  In this way the connections are all balanced
without the use of a bus bar.  You can connect the positive of D to
the wind turbine (and the negative of A) to reduce the danger of a
direct connection without batteries.

If a battery is well charged I see no problem with parallel strings.
As it gets older then you do need to monitor the individual
cells/units for failures and take action.  Standard smaller sized
units are easier to re-group, and if desired to replace.

--
Hugh Piggott

Scoraig Wind Electric
Scotland