[RE-wrenches] Strings and series of batteries

Hugh hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Thu Dec 3 10:30:44 PST 2009

Just for a contrasting opinion:

I rarely use grease or vaseline unless it proves necessary.  I have
changed out battery banks after seven years and the connectors are
still pristine whilst dry.  I agree that sometimes there will be
localised corrosion on battery terminals.  I find it rarely, and I
deal with it as and when.  I might use vaseline then.  Or spray on
some oil.  Not a big deal to be honest.  The contact resistance is
not affected by corrosion on the outside.  Probably due to some
moisture arriving on the terminal?  But vaseline/grease attracts
dust, makes a big mess and mess is not nice around batteries.

Bus bars sound great, but what a hassle.  If you connect links
between all of the positives, and links between all of the negatives,
to parallel the battery, then the only issue is where you connect the
charge source and/or inverter.  I have learned to connect them at
opposite ends of the parallel links.  'Diagonally opposite' you could
call it.  In this way the resistance is identical to each string.
One string has a direct connection to plus.  One has a direct
connection to minus.  All have equal number of links between them and
the inverter.  If there is a wind turbine then I will often connect
this to two corners and the inverter to the opposite two corners,
making it very difficult to (both) disconnect the battery and (also)
leave the wind turbine connected to the inverter.  This probably has
saved a few inverters from instant death due to carelessness.
--
Hugh Piggott

Scoraig Wind Electric
Scotland