[RE-wrenches] PV Powered vs SMA

Andrew Truitt atruitt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 18:17:54 PST 2009

Last I used a PVP was in 2005 and we had multiple failures.  I've never had
an SMA fail but there has been a disconcerting glitch on some units lately,
where the inverter displays a GFDI fuse error for about a 1/2 hour after
commissioning, and then kicks in.  Still the best dependabilty and fit and
finish of any of the major inverters in my humble opinion.

To me its Ford vs. BMW.  America makes some damn fine equipment but when it
comes to precision engineering and lifetime performance I would argue that
the Germans have an edge on the rest of the world right now.

Andrew Truitt
Standard Solar Inc.

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Drake Chamberlin <
drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org> wrote:

>  In the past I have seen a lot of issues with PVP inverters.  There was a
> period, when I was subcontracting, where a half dozen or more of the units
> had to be replaced within a short time.  Although I like many features of
> PVP, I've avoided them since.  Have others found these units to be reliable
> or problematic?
>

> At 07:30 PM 12/1/2009, you wrote:
>
> Nice thread... inverter pros/cons is something I spend a fair amount of
> time
> pondering, since they are the weak link in the grid-direct installation.
>
> Overall, I like them both (PVP and SMA).
>
> Performance: On page 44 of the Dec/Jan issue of SolarPro, there is a list
> of
> specifications for grid-direct inverters. Current PVP and SMA inverters
> have
> similar CEC weighted efficiency ratings. Some of the older PVP inverter
> models (1100, 2000, 2800, 3000) have slightly lower efficiency.
>
> Reliability: I like that the PVP inverters have no moving parts, whereas
> the
> SMA inverters use a fan to assist with the cooling. PV Powered does a lot
> of
> marketing around their reliability efforts, for whatever that's worth.
>
> Customer Service: I have not needed to utilize PV Powered customer service.
> I've found SMA customer service techs to be easy to reach and
> knowledgeable.
>
> Other issues: I like that PV Powered inverters are made in the USA. I also
> find the hardware and manuals to be easier to work with, most likely
> because
> they're produced in the USA for our market. The PVP inverters ship with a
> full-size mounting template which comes in handy, especially when planning
> the rough-in wiring and support framing during new construction.
>
> I have a preference for the PVP inverters, and use SMA occasionally if it's
> a better design fit. I agree with Wayne Irwin's comment about the
> durability
> of the inverters with the heavy transformer designs, as opposed to the
> newer
> "light-weight" designs (including the newest SMA products). I just feel
> that
> in the long run, lower counts for electronic components is a good thing.
> I'm
> not an expert on component reliability, but I know from my somewhat limited
> experience that capacitors dry up and transistors are susceptible to a
> variety of failure modes. The fewer of these things, the better. Also from
> reliability standpoint, I prefer to put inverters inside in a well
> ventilated area, if possible. My gut feeling is that over the long haul,
> any
> inverter will be better off in a location that is protected from moisture
> and large ambient temperature swings.
>
> -Hans

"Don't get me wrong: I love nuclear energy! It's just that I prefer fusion
to fission. And it just so happens that there's an enormous fusion reactor
safely banked a few million miles from us. It delivers more than we could
ever use in just about 8 minutes. And it's wireless!"

~William McDonough