[RE-wrenches] SEALED batteries

Dana dana at solarwork.com
Mon Nov 30 10:19:52 PST 2009

To date, I have not heard of even one battery manufacturer that advocates EQ
for sealed batteries. Though I do stand to be corrected if there is a
manufacturer that does think this wise.

We have sealed in remote applications that service is not an option and a
wet battery would not survive the time span or cost of long time between
visits.

Recharge capability and load analysis are critical. Esp. if not backup
generator or power is available.

What is the operating temperature? We have them at 13,000 ft. el. and it
gets to 0°F in the building and sometimes lower and they do well but that is
due to sizing the load at -20F which nearly doubled the size of the battery
bank.

What is the manufacturers recommended Volt per cell setting?  I have set up
and repaired system that the Charge controller was not able to be correctly
set to the very specific VPC requirement for that sealed battery and we had
to install a CC the met the VPC requirement.

They are great for UPS systems that the client will not remember to check
them.

Life span has varied 6 to 8 years till replacement which is usually less
life than an L-16 style which is always been less than a HUP, IBE, or
Concorde style battery.

I have RE-watered sealed batteries and given a sort of 1 time EQ to bring

They have their place but I do not think that is every system. Their lower
life span and higher cost are a factor, but this is offset by forgetting to
check a wet battery and then having to replace that battery bank for
forgetful clients.

Dana Orzel

Great Solar Works, Inc

www.solarwork.com

E - dana at solarwork.com

V - 970.626.5253

F - 970.626.4140

C - 970.209.4076

I will be the shift in how the world uses power! - Dana Orzel