[RE-wrenches] Generator bonding discussion

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu Nov 12 07:08:27 PST 2009

There may be no totally compliant way of using
the internally-bonded-neutral generators, but
they are being used a lot in both solar
applications and emergency generator backup
systems.  Inlet receptacles and transfer switches
are being sold in quantity for use with cord  and
plug connected generators, most of which are internally bonded.

Using a 3 to 2 prong adaptor might be the best
solution where code rigidity is not the norm.  In
the old code, the neutral could be separately
bonded at different structures under the same
management.  Using the adaptor, the neutral bonds
to the frame of the generator, so other
receptacles on it will still be legitimate to use in accordance with 250.34

The building will get its ground through the
grounding electrode system of the
building.  There are no parallel neutral
paths.  All will have normal safety feathers and
will function well.  It may or may not be
"code."   Check out 250.34.  I think there is
some argument for this method being compliant.

Drake