[RE-wrenches] OB Battery Charging

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri Nov 6 07:58:12 PST 2009

On L16s, I go by the tested cycle life, which for a Trojan is about
550 cycles to 80% DOD. Compared to a T105 which has 750 cycles, or a
HUP at 2100 cycles, we quit pushing L16s a while ago.
Here in the mountains, we seem to see batteries in well designed off
grid systems lasting roughly 100 cycles/ year.
So, T105 = 5 to7 yrs
	L16 =  4 to 5 yrs
	HUP = 18 to 20 yrs.
I've seen L16s go over 10, too, but not when horribly abused like the
set I was discussing before. Those had lived in an off grid mode for 5
years, no generator, and were operated continuously at below 80% DOD.

L16s on a C40 seem to use exponentially more water as they age,
starting about 3 to 4 years into their life.

As far as customer interaction with the MATE, we generally don't
provide one. They're way too expensive and hard to understand, and the
chances of them screwing up the programming are too great.
( I recall some vaporware that was supposed to allow us to pull up all
the programming in Windows???)
We install just the cable, and coil it up so that when we come out, we
can access the programming without having to remove all the cover
plates.
Only customers that are comfortable with changing settings, etc.
actually get a MATE. (1 out of 10)
The dual input issue hasn't been horrible, I have a system that we're
doing now, in which we left the old SW system on the wall for
generator charging, and as a backup backup.
We're still predominantly doing OUtback, we got excited about Magnum,
but then found they have their own set of issues, and then after an
unexplained inverter failure, we slowed way down on those.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer