[RE-wrenches] Evergreen to China, What is American made?

Nick Soleil nicksoleilsolar at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 6 00:58:44 PST 2009

    This thread is hilarious and tragic.  What started a couple days ago as an attempt to desperately find a source for US made modules lead the group to discuss the always American made Evergreen, but mid-thread (yesterday) Evergreen announces that they are moving their assembly to China.  So what now Bob-O, Mexico may be better than China, but is China better than China?
    So what now?  I use BP mostly, which always provided American made options, and we would sell those to the Buy-American crowd.  However, beginning a couple months back, those American lines began getting  'Made in China' stickers too, (with no notice to us.)  One of my customer's was pissed when he saw that sticker after paying extra for American made.
    There is Unisolar in the US.  Does First Solar manufacture in the US?

     Honestly, I am glad that panel prices have come down so far, sorry if that is making life hard for Evergreen and other manufacturers, but solar should be more affordable.  If all the manufactureres move to China, then atleast my competitors can't use American Made as a selling point against me.  Now instead, they can remind customers that the BP in BP Solar stands for British Petroleum.  "Yes, it is the same company as the oil company."
Nick Soleil
Project Manager
Advanced Alternative Energy Solutions, LLC
PO Box 657
Petaluma, CA 94953
Cell:   707-321-2937
Office: 707-789-9537