[RE-wrenches] Sync problem

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Fri Oct 30 12:18:54 PDT 2009

Friends:

In addition to ramping down the charge amps, you also need to ensure that
the loads are removed for testing.  Even with charge amp at 1, if the loads
exceed the capabilities of the generator to maintain adequate voltage and
frequency.

I discussed this very issue with Outback at the show yesterday.  The GFX
series inverter has tighter input tolerances on the AC input.  This is
because there is only one AC input and that input needs to comply with grid
tie requirements.

Another short coming of the Outback is: if the loads exceed the source
capabilities, once the transfer occurs, the source will overload, be it to
trip a source breaker or bog down a generator.  If this were an SW or XW
inverter, the inverter would synchronize with the source and assist in
delivering power to the loads.

William