[RE-wrenches] Stainless steel, self-tapping grounding screws

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Sat Oct 24 06:36:55 PDT 2009

 Nick didn't specify screw diameter, but assuming #10-32:

Try #96024A310 from McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) These cut threads into
aluminum pretty well.

I also use stainless "external star" washers for the ground lug task:
#98438A230, same source. One washer between lug and solar module frame bites
into both surfaces.

The above mentioned screws require a 5/32" pilot hole. If your modules don't
already have that you'll need to protect the Tedlar back sheet with a scrap
of wood then drill through the aluminum flange. This operation is possibly
non-code, possibly non-acceptable to your authority having jurisdiction, and
possibly a reason for the module manufacturer to disallow warranty on the
drilled modules. Drama, drama, drama.

A 5/16" hex bit is required to drive the thread cutter screws and I find
this cannot be done by hand. A cordless drill works but be careful to not
strip out the aluminum threads you're cutting. Get them tight...but not too
tight.

Side Note: The same screws do not tap well into the thin NEMA 1/NEMA 3R
steel pulling boxes. The cutting teeth seem to grind away before they get a
good bite in the steel.

Jolliness,

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com