[RE-wrenches] Rooftop wiring methods between multiple subarrays

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Fri Oct 9 12:56:52 PDT 2009

All -

PVC doesn't hold up well in the Bay Area - Here's a photo of  some ~4 year old PVC browned PVC from Marin County:

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CA48DF.F8EAE150]

You can see that the straps melted resulting in the conduit sliding down. Thank goodness we didn't install this. PCV seems like a good option for shaded areas.

As Bill pointed out, if we use EMT we need to bond both ends of the conduit to comply with NEC 250.97. My issue is that it is hard to find outdoor rated bonding bushings - that's why we've just been installing cast metal boxes with threaded connections (complies with NEC 250.92(B)(2)).

As William point out, EMT is robust and reliable. I still think that there must be more efficient way to go between arrays. Maybe that's why commercial low profile racking systems are often fully integrated systems with built in wire raceways.

-August

August Goers

Luminalt Energy Corporation
O: 415.564.7652