[RE-wrenches] Sunny Island DC Load Centers, Sealed Batteries

Howie Michaelson howie at suncatchervt.com
Wed Oct 7 19:58:32 PDT 2009

Walter, Kirpal,

Nice install in Burundi!  I'm wondering about the battery cables - how did
you connect the battery lugs on the 2/0 (?) cable to the SI's? Is this an
SMA approved adaptation?  I like the use of the FW1000's.

We just finished a retrofit of a legacy off-grid double dual stack Trace
SW5548, using 4 SI5048's in a double split-phase configuration to replace
them.  We used 6x6 trough below the four inverters for our DC in and AC
out cables, reused the 2 old Trace dual DC 175 amp disconnects for the
battery connections, and a backfed load panel for combining the AC outputs
with each SI backfeeding in on its own 60 amp single pole breaker.  We did
this so we could use the main lugs to land the 500' feeder wires supplying
the main house panel which is in a separate building.  We liked using the
trough, although the FW seems like a good option if one didn't already
have the DC breaker setup.

Howie
--
Howie Michaelson
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™

Sun Catcher, LLC
Renewable Energy Systems Sales and Service
VT Solar & Wind Incentive Program Partner
http://www.SunCatcherVT.com
(cell) 802-272-0004
(home) 802-439-6096