[RE-wrenches] XW6048 parts problem

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Sun Sep 20 15:43:40 PDT 2009

Hi Drake (and everyone else interested in this thread),

Armed with the information from my esteemed colleagues, we went ahead and
purchased a SunWise "Solar Ready-Grid Tie Battery System", a SRB3.6 to be
exact. The heart of the system is a GVFX3648. I ordered it without the
Charge controller and purchased a SB3000 and 3150 Wdc of PV to go with it.

I also purchased a Grainger 2P2T relay with a 12 V coil in a NC
configuration (to disconnect the SB when the batteries are fully charged in
off-grid mode) and an Outback PSX-240 to transform the 240 Vac to 120 Vac
(in order to interface with the GVFX3648.

When we looked into hooking the relay up to the AUX-OUT of the GVFX3648, we
discovered that it was already dedicated to the fan.

So it looks like we will need to put something together to sense the battery
voltage and energize the relay coil, when we exceed the threshold. Any
recommendations for a add-on HVD? And exactly what threshold voltage should
we use for 8ea 6V 305 Ah (C/24) AGM batteries?

And for Drake: I gravitated away from Xantrex because of a very
unsatisfactory experience with a XW6048. The system failed to work properly
and Xantrex "hemmed and hawed" for over six months. Bottom line: we made six
service calls, two firmware upgrades and probably two dozen calls to largely
clueless group tech supporters. Through it all, I lost the customer's
confidence and he chose another integrator to do a follow on commercial
project. The last part of course was the worst part of the experience.

- Peter

Hi Peter,

The Outback inverter will not regulate battery charge while AC coupled.  The
SMA is the only system designed to give a regulated charge to batteries in
the AC coupled mode. The Outback auxiliary relay can be used to drive a
relay that will disconnect the input to the inverter, to regulate battery
charge when grid is down.  I like an "Ice Cube Rely" (such as Idec) to
control a contactor.  The coil of the Idec uses very little power.

Why did you gravitate toward Xantrex from Outback?

Drake