[RE-wrenches] losses to competing angles in single strings

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Fri Sep 11 16:53:00 PDT 2009

In principle, two strings with different orientations should not be wired in
parallel into the same inverter. However, when the mismatch is minor (15
degrees in pitch or 15 degrees in azimuth) there is practically no
degradation. Fronius circulated a white paper for a while that argued that
their inverters did maximum power point tracking on the string with the
greatest irradiance and therefore did an optimum mppt  job on the string
with the greatest "available power". This part of the argument makes sense.
What I have never been clear about is how close to "optimum" this
arrangement is (optimum being two separate monitors one for each string).

Fronius appears to be backing away from this white paper, as I was told
about six months ago from a member of their tech support staff that they
recommended two separate inverters.

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885

  _____