[RE-wrenches] power factor

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Wed Aug 19 20:21:41 PDT 2009

One question about power factor:

We know it is the ratio of the real power to the apparent power, and
that most utility meters only register real power (watts).  Reactive
power doesn't dissipate as heat like power loss through a resistor.

The question is:  What is the quantitative effect that reactive power
has on a battery bank that is feeding loads through an inverter?  If
the power factor is 56% (like a refrigerator that I want to replace)
does that mean that only 56% of the power being drawn from the
batteries is being used to power the refrigerator?.  If so, where
does the rest of the power go?

Thanks,

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric