[RE-wrenches] down-sizing main breaker

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Sat Aug 1 10:08:55 PDT 2009

Dick:

I disagree with your plan.  To qualify as a supply side tap, the tap needs
to be on the supply side of the main disconnecting means,  If I understand
your plan correctly, your suggestion does not achieve this.

Bruce:

Your inspector is correct -- not in his interpretation of the code -- but
in the reality of implementing your plan.  I wrote in this forum recently
(6/25/2009) of the difficulties we had in down-sizing a main breaker
because no manufacturer has made provision for this in meter/main/combo
(m/m/c) panels.

In the situation cited, we had the capability of back feeding 75 amps into
a 100 amp m/m/c.  There was not enough PV to allow this, but the three
Xantrex XW6048 inverters had a combined sell capability of 75 amps.  In
reality, for a short time after a utility outage, these inverters could
battery-sell up to the 75 amp capability.  Our best solution would be to
install a 200 amp meter panel with a 100 amp breaker.  The application is
an agricultural based residence, so based on how one interpreted this, the
back feed allowance would be either 100 amps or 120 amps, enough to cover
our back feed.

We were told by a supplier that we could purchase a 200 amp m/m/c and field
retrofit a 100 amp breaker into it.  We requested the supplier contact the
manufacturer (GE) and obtain confirmation of this claim.  We were assured
that this was possible.

Based on the assurances, we bid the job and won the contract.  When we
purchased the equipment we found that the 100 amp breaker could not
physically fit into the 200 amp m/m/c.  We spent a full day calling GE and
then other manufacturers only to find out that no one builds a 200 amp
m/m/c that can fit a 100 amp main.  All of the panels we looked at were
cleverly configured to not allow the smaller breaker to be held in place.

Has anyone out there found a 200 amp m/m/c that can fit a 100 amp main?  If
so, I want to know.

We ended up jury rigging a 100 amp main into a Square D Home-line "ranch"
panel, against manufacturer's recommendations.  The retrofit was solid, but
we essentially violated the listing.  I did not like doing this, but we
were in a corner.

In my earlier post I point out the fact that electrical equipment
manufacturer's are behind the times in implementing equipment that can
adapt to the new requirements for solar electric systems.  Now that
Schneider, owners of Square D, now own Xantrex, maybe there can be some
"cross-pollination" of ideas so that Square D can build meter panels that
allow installation of down-sized main breakers.  I can see no reason why it
would be unsafe or unfeasible to allow this to happen.  I am cc'ing Mark
Edmunds of Xantrex with this e-mail in hopes it will draw his attention.  A
memo from him on Xantrex letter head may have enough credibility to get the
attention of Square D engineers.

Sincerely,

William Miller