[RE-wrenches] "Quick Release" PV System

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Wed Jul 29 11:38:54 PDT 2009

It seems to me that allowing an expensive array to be quickly and easily
removed from a roof is a Very Bad Thing- I'd guess that the customer's
insurance company would have an issue with this too. Will they also
require that heat pumps have wheels and flexible pipes, so that they can
be moved by firefighters for ladder access? Maybe talking with them
about the possibility of PV theft could change their mind.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/24/technology/24solar.html

I wonder if this requirement actually came from the fire department. The
3' buffer around the array (which I thought was standard for CA) makes a
lot of sense, but I don't see why any firefighters would be interested
in taking a 5kW, 1500 lbs array off a fiery roof while keeping it
intact. It's still a lot of work and I don't see any benefit in doing so.

So it's not just you- I think that a "quick release" array is a bad idea
anywhere where people know that PV is worth a lot of money. And, um,
that's everywhere.

DKC