[RE-wrenches] "Quick Release" PV System

Brian White brianw at eagleroofing.com
Wed Jul 29 11:18:02 PDT 2009

"Quick Release" PV System

I just had a set of plans rejected by the City of Chula Vista, CA, because the integrated Tile product that we use did not have a "Quick Release" System for the array, so that the Fire Department could remove the array in the event of a fire.

Has anyone ever heard of such a requirement? If so, how did you meet this requirement, with any style of PV array (BIPV, Standard Modules, peel & stick) and still achieve an 85 - 100 mph wind rating? Is it just me, or is this city from a different planet.

This issue did not show up on the initial Plan Correction check list from the city, but they are calling it out now when we re-submitted. My electrician asked them to explain it to me over the phone, because he did not think anyone would believe him when he asked for this requirement. I have asked for a document or anything that defines this requirement, and will share what I find out.

Brian C. White
Sr. Design Engineer - PV Systems

Eagle Roofing Products
120 North Auburn Street - Suite 212