[RE-wrenches] Fwd: Grounding on a glacier??

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Thu Jul 23 13:29:56 PDT 2009

As long as we're already on the subject, BESIDE the NEC requiring it,
why is it that we have to bond the ungrounded conductor on the battery
side of a DC system??? I believe that we are the only country in the
world that has this requirement. As long as all the system cabinets,
mounting plates, housings and etc are grounded, what is gained by
including a battery conductor? I'm not talking about HV inputs from an
array, just the battery busses.

I have been asking this question since forever, and the only explanation
seems to be the recital of the Code. Obvious problems can occur when
there is a + grounded piece of equipment in the mix, since - well, it's
obvious.

Matt T