[RE-wrenches] large module orders - COD??

Bob-O Schultze bob-o at electronconnection.com
Tue Jul 14 09:05:04 PDT 2009

Jeff,
Welcome to the wonderful world of big business in 2009.
Most states allow a contractor to ask for a reasonable deposit upon
executing a contract. Often it's about 10%. On an order that size, I'd
get whatever the law would allow upfront and COD for the big ticket
items. It's reasonable to leave yourself on the hook for your labor
and the smaller stuff until the job is completed so long as your
contract clearly states a short final payment timeframe and as much
interest and late payment fees as your state will allow if they miss
it. Almost all clients will accept that a contractor needs some good
faith money and go for that. Offer the same deal of 10% upfront to
your PV supplier and they'll likely say, "And where did you say you
would like these shipped?" Doesn't alleviate the problem of having to
have good cash reserves or good credit, but it will help.
If either the client or the distributor doesn't get it, do business
elsewhere. It's harsh and a bitch to have to walk away from a good job
that you've put a lot of energy into, but it seems unwise (at least in
the present economy) to extend yourself any further than that.
Good Luck, Bob-O