[RE-wrenches] Solar Boost Controller in Senegal

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar larry at starlightsolar.com
Tue Jun 30 13:36:48 PDT 2009

Hi Walt,

You are right! Gel batteries will give many more cycles than AGM's.
And they cost more so you you are not getting an equivalent value by
them suppling AGM's.

A very big downside to Gel is if you accidently over-voltage the
battery, you can permanently ruin it. I have seen many battery banks
damaged from accidental high voltage charging. For that reason, I
mostly sell AGM (in my market). They also charge slower because of the
reduced charge voltage required. Also they are not quite as efficient
as AGM so it takes more power/time to fully recharge.

On the plus side, an AGM battery can be equalized if needed but never
a Gel battery. Hope this helps.

Kindest Regards,

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar
(928) 941-1660
Renewable Energy Products, Service and Installation

Mailing Address (NO SHIPPING):
11881 S Fortuna Rd.
Yuma, AZ 85367

Shipping and retail store (NO MAIL):