[RE-wrenches] module frame separation

Brian Teitelbaum bteitelbaum at aeesolar.com
Wed Jun 24 17:42:41 PDT 2009

Joel,

Are you sure that water can enter the laminate from the edge? My understanding is that the aluminum frame is only needed for structural support, and that the laminate itself is sealed at the edge. I'd like to know if I'm wrong. Maybe a module manu rep can chime in.

How are frame-less laminates edge sealed in any way different than a framed module?

I know that in years past, when we had long and skinny modules, it was not uncommon for installers to remove the bottom part of the frame in order to allow better snow and dirt shedding (although I certainly wouldn't suggest that with today's large glass).

On the silicone sealant: Best to use one that does not outgas acetic acid. Dow 739 is one type, but there are others. These sealants are 100% silicone, and are hydroscopic, in that they draw water out of the air for the curing process, instead of the more usual silicone caulks that cure in a chemical process that outgases acetic acid as a byproduct. It's really nice stuff to work with, since it doesn't have that harsh smell, and is really easy on the skin (mine anyway).

I don't know if acetic acid will damage any of the modern encapsulates, but I used to keep a tube of 739 in my toolbox to seal damaged back skins, and seal module's JB's. I do know that acetic acid can damage metallic parts, including cell metallization and internal JB metal parts.

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE Solar