[RE-wrenches] Grid-Connect Inverter with battery, AND auto backoff?

Troy Harvey taharvey at heliocentric.org
Tue Jun 23 21:30:33 PDT 2009

Load sheding is not a bad idea if the tech exists. Not particularly
complex either with networkable breakers and a smart controller in the
inverter. Just software. Cost isn't an issue, they are willing to pay.

The issue on loads isn't battery cut-off (though that isn't a bad
idea), but shedding the less-important loads to make sure the house
does exceed the inverter power output. A 6kW inverter subpaneled will
only give you about four 15 AMP circuits. However a typical house of
this size will have 30 such circuits, yet good chance it won't be
drawing much more than 50 AMPs for the whole house at any one time.
How do you select what is important? Either the inverter is
complicated or the electricians wiring is complicated.

Troy Harvey
Heliocentric
801-453-9434
taharvey at heliocentric.org