[RE-wrenches] Grid-Connect Inverter with battery, AND auto backoff?

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Tue Jun 23 21:01:01 PDT 2009

Troy:

Let me guess... They want it right away and cheap, too.  Generally
speaking, this is an impractical request.  Electrically operated circuit
breakers or 20 A relays and controllers are expensive and complicated.  One
thing to learn in this trade is when to try and talk a client out of a bad
idea, and when a client has such wacky ideas that it is best to walk away.

I could, however, suggest two ways to do this:

1. Use two inverters and set the LBCO for one high.  Connect one to
critical loads and one (with the high LBCO) to non-critical loads.  When
the batteries start getting low, the non-critical-loads inverter shuts
down, leaving the critical-loads inverter running.

Realize that you now need four load centers:  Grid, generator (you have
recommended a generator so they can use their wide screen TV during a wind
storm, correct?), non-critical loads and critical loads.  This type of
design gets complicated fast.  Will the AHJ be able to track this?  Set a
clause that allows you to collect hourly fees when they require three
different meetings and three re-writes of the permit application.

2. Use an Outback with external relays to shut off loads when the battery
voltage falls below a certain point.   This is a crude approach, the
parameters are not flexible (hard coded delay values) and it requires
custom built relay panels, time consuming, expensive and a potential
service problem.

Either system is actuated on battery voltage rather than loads.  Inverters
I am familiar with have relays and internal controls that operate based a
set-able battery voltages, but I know of none that has a programmable relay
to actuate at a certain load level.  In addition, loads change so rapidly
that this type of switching would be erratic.  Loading is a component of
battery voltage, anyway, so you are including that indirectly.

Good Luck,

William Miller