[RE-wrenches] Separated frames on BP modules

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 15 14:43:41 PDT 2009

Most solar module designers have no field experience. Some design solar module long-rail angle or channel frames that bow unless you fasten them to the mounting structure with 4 bolts (2 per long-rail) in factory-drilled mounting holes. Some long rails are so weak that they bow under the module's own weight if you just lift the module by the long rail. Solec modules had a tube-frame that was the strongest in the industry, but I don't recommend Solec type frames. They were over-built and required threaded inserts and a special insert tool if you wanted make your own mounting holes (which you were allowed to do without voiding the warranty). There is no reason for poorly designed and weak angle or channel frame extrusions. A strong frame gives installers the freedom to drill their own mounting holes in both the long and short rails.

Joel Davidson