[RE-wrenches] 690.47D (revisited)

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Fri Jun 5 10:01:49 PDT 2009

Kelly,

The question is, if the AJH had required you to run the new array DC GED
directly to an additional DC array GE, would that new DC GE system need to
be bonded with the exisitng AC GE system with a bonding wire other than the
new EGC running from the array to new DC GE?

Unfortunately, NEC 2008 is not clear about this with respect to the new DC
array GE.  That leaves us with only the general NEC requirement that all
premise GE's be bonded into a single system.

So the total effect of the new 690.47D, assuming that the "prcaticable"
location for the new DC array GE is not within 6 ft of the exisiting AC GE,
is this:

A new DC array GEC must run directly from the array to a new DC GE system
and and a new bonding jumper must be run from the new DC GE system to the
exisitng AC GE system.

It the new DC GE system can be the same as the existing AC GE by virtue of
it proximity (less than 6 ft) to the practiable location, then the ne DC
array GEC must still be run directly to exist GE system which is now the
AC/DC GE system.

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
303 Redbud Way