[RE-wrenches] AC coupled relay

Christopher Freitas cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Wed Jun 3 11:38:03 PDT 2009

I have usually done the same setup as Kirk - but I have used the Potter
Brumfield "PRD" style relay - which are available from Grainger under
the "Dayton" brand name (of course).  These provide a "visual break"
which is nice to be able to check when doing testing etc.

I like using the AC coil together with a DC coil signal relay as it
allows some nice options for redundancy and fail-safe design.

These are large, heavy duty, open frame 30 amp 2 pole with normally
closed and normally open contacts and available with 12vdc, 24vdc,
120vac or 240vac coils.  Grainger even has one now with an auxiliary
switch included - which could be used to send a signal or turn on a
light to alert the system user that there is an outage.

Relays: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/catalogPDF.shtml

NEMA 1 Type Relay Enclosure:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1EGH7

I hope this helps!