[RE-wrenches] Ishaq M. Shahryar passing - Memorial

James A. Hartley grail at inil.com
Wed Apr 15 11:12:16 PDT 2009

Well, that might be a good gesture in principle which I'd consider assuming times were better, and different.  But they aren't, yet should be.  That's the sort of thing technology might and should embrace in such turbulent times as these especially.  But it won't do so for that intended purpose I suspect.  The west is more concerned that the Afghan poppy fields are continually well played in the so-called free market.  And the black market too.  Then there is the big issue of who controls those critical oil transport conduits.  One also has to wonder how long a million solar modules would withstand a thousand bomb blasts in that current envirionment.  I've never been there to assess the possibilities.  My former Russian wife was there, serving as a Russian army officer in the 1980s, live-fire combat situations no less.  It was really ugly stuff.  I could tell it had changed her deeply.  She was damaged in the heart.  Still is I suspect. That's what that shit does.  The Russians are some real tough nuts, but you don't mess with the Afghans.  Several "empires" tried it over the centuries.  They all failed.  Then again, try another approach to them - like solar power.  They might "buy it" because they could use a beneficial outlet for their own better energies.  In that sense Shahryar could truly see his work rewarded meaningfully somehow.  There you go, Obama.  Change the world constructively.  I dare ya.  Surprise me.  But I'd sooner count on people in the streets first.  Enough of politics.  There's serious work to be done.  Thank you, Mr. Shahryar.  I used to compete with you years ago.  You were a straight shooter.  Even when I had to hide behind a rock, you had wicked aim.  We fought well. Go in peace.