[RE-wrenches] Energy Savings - What is Real?

Travis Creswell tcreswell at ozarkenergyservices.com
Sat Apr 11 08:33:21 PDT 2009

Thanks for this paper Joel!  It was very timely.  Just this week, one of my
commercial customers (a grocery store chain) asked me about "a power factor
gizmo that their greeting card vendor was trying to sell them".  I politely
explained that the energy conservation industry had serious doubts about
such black boxes to which they replied "don't you think this person would be
wary of selling something that would jeopardize his key business".  I told
them that from I've seen such devices are always sold by non-tech savvy
people who truly believe in their product then printed this paper off with
the pertinent comments highlighted and gave it to them.  I still don't think
they caught the irony of the Greeting Card vendor was selling this.

While were on the subject of magic boxes.  Watch the top video in below
link.  On the residential and commercial installs he tells you to watch the
power factor (which does improve) but at the top of the meter you also see
kW which they do not highlight.  You'll have to pause the video to catch it
but it hilarious that they think no one is going to.  It doubles for the car
wash and goes up by a factor of 20 for the house!  See if you can pick out
any other irregularities.  I'm not an EE but looks like some funny business
to me.  Maybe someone can explain it because I can't

http://www.power-save1200.com/1200.html

Best,
Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services