[RE-wrenches] Hardware request

Matt Lafferty gilligan06 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 10:14:52 PDT 2009

Hi Allan,

Sounds like this is a government or similar caliber job. Some better quality
metal-roof products have an actual filler/shim for this purpose. One of
those things that architects tend to like. Depending on the age of the
construction, it may just be possible that there are some records regarding
the actual make/model of the corrugated products. If possible, check with
the original contractor for the roof system &/or the architect.

If that doesn't pan out, here is a homemade version made out of Trex (or
similar) on a bandsaw.
http://www.buildingwithawareness.com/blog/2008/12/how-to-mount-photovoltaic-
pv-solar-panels-to-a-corrugated-metal-roof/ . This lets you make your
penetration at the peaks. Note the drain-through notches for the trough
sections. I've made similar spacers in the past but never came up with the
drain-through notches. Instead, I labored with tapering the up-slope side of
the part to allow water to run "over" the block. I really like the
simplicity of the notch and all to the material it saves!

I also like Bob-O's description of the DP&W "H" profile for a couple
reasons... Mostly that it won't dam the troughs and your penetration is at
the peak.

Best of success!

Matt Lafferty

  _____