[RE-wrenches] Battery based grid tie question.

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Thu Mar 26 18:32:28 PDT 2009

Michael:

The SW inverters were first approved for grid-tie as originally
designed.  Then the CEC pulled the listing because re-testing revealed some
borderline results.  It was rumored that the only competing grid-tie
company at the time blew the whistle.  It was a big deal at the time with
many SW projects in the pipeline.

Xantrex scrambled to remedy the situation and created the GTI.  Many SW
inverters were removed from walls and sent to Arlington to be refitted for
GTI interfaces.  An internal board was changed and the outboard interface
provided.  The CSI home page has a photo of an SW inverter with a
GTI:  http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/erprebate/equipment.html  The
list of eligible equipment says right on it, "with GTI."  So one
theoretically should not be able to obtain a utility agreement without a
GTI, but we received one about two weeks ago.  go figure.

Please, wrenches, keep this under your hats.

William Miller