[RE-wrenches] Battery based grid tie question.

Michael Welch michael.welch at re-wrenches.org
Thu Mar 26 09:47:42 PDT 2009

Hi William. The SW's own roadblock got removed many years ago. I got PG&E to approve SW serial number 00011 (as I recall) for an installation in Arcata in a non-net-billing intertie. This was brand new to them, and as far as I know the only other SWs running in CA were off-grid betas, and one guerrilla.

At the time, they wanted the certificate of compliance to prove it would not island, and it required a fair amount of back and forth with Trace engineers. (Now those guys are with other companies we know and love.) I think that eventually, they actually did their own testing on that model in San Ramon.

But I thought the CEC listing service was supposed to supercede all that. At least that is what it took for my OutBack inverter to be approved for intertie a few years back. Is the XW not listed with the CEC?

BTW, I sold a SW2512 on eBay in '05 for $1,136. There are two SW4024s on eBay right now, no bids yet.