[RE-wrenches] Battery based grid tie question.

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Thu Mar 26 15:28:10 PDT 2009

Sorry, Tump,

The SW lost its UL listing for Rev. 4.01 software around 2000. The GTI, used
with Rev. 4.10 was relisted for grid-interactive use. At least in our area,
GT systems with pre-GTI SW's were allowed to remain in service, as they were
grandfathered in. However, no pre-GTI SW can be used in a new GT
application. It's not listed for GT operation any more. What you are
recommending can only be used by "getting away with it" if an inspector or
utility isn't aware of this history, but it's not "legal".

Besides, while it's not cost-effective to replace any SW's with more
efficient GTFX's, I would not use a SW in a new GT application anyway. They
are an early technology and quite inefficient in GT use, due to both the
lack of a "silent sell" topology and their fundamental us of the grid at
night to maintain float voltage (thee are related aspects of the same
issue). According to posts here on this issue any years ago, te SW is around
55% efficient overall in GT mode, if I recall correctly.

Allan at Positive Energy

  _____

From: re-wrenches On Behalf Of Tump

What year are the SWs? they have had grid inter tie for years, if the
inverters were manufactured prior to I think 2001 then you do not need to
have the gti box installed.  If the guys on a budget why spend  the extra
$$$$? Its not the most efficient it certainly cheaper.