[RE-wrenches] cell thickness and handling modules (was Sunpower modules)

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 20 14:53:30 PDT 2009

Arco Solar used inside diameter (ID) saws to cut wafer 3 mils (0.003 inches)
thick. I don't recall when Arco got wire saws. Solec also used ID saws until
1995.  See http://dove.eng.sunysb.edu/~kao/Wiresaw/NSF-97.pdf Thinner cells
and wire sawing yields more kW/kg but require better handling equipment to
avoid breakage. Cells can crack even when they are laminated into glass
front and glass back modules so don't twist or flex modules when handling
them.

Joel Davidson