[RE-wrenches] SunPower modules

Jeff Irish jeff at hvce.com
Fri Mar 20 13:49:09 PDT 2009

Word of caution... don't wire the bigger SunPower modules with the
negative conductor grounded.  With the metal frame grounded, as it
should be, this combination causes a strange surface polarization effect
that will discolor the cells and cause the power output to drop by about
half.  Fortunately the polarization and discoloring are totally
reversible if the system is re-wired with the positive conductor
grounded (as we found out, even after 6 months of being wired
incorrectly), but it takes a few days to correct.  For this same reason,
SunPower modules can't be used with bipolar inverters.

Jeff Irish

Hudson Valley Clean Energy