[RE-wrenches] Lightning protection system

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Fri Mar 6 06:47:47 PST 2009

I didn't get a reply to the question about connecting the GEC to the
lightning protection system on the 8 story building.  Although this
may seem like an intrinsically dangerous idea, a lightning protection
system is required to be bonded to the building grounding electrode system.

"250.106 Lightning Protection Systems.
The lightning protection system ground terminals shall be bonded to
the building or structure grounding electrode system."

It would therefore seem that the suplemental ground could connect to
that system as well, and in fact use the existing conductor.  Any
input would be welcome.

Thanks,

Drake

At 09:19 PM 3/4/2009, you wrote:
>Hello Wrenches,
>
>Can the supplemental grounding electrode conductor be connected to a
>lightning protection system?
>
>We have a case where it would be difficult to run a GEC down a multi
>story building, but have a convenient copper wire, from a lightning
>protection system, that runs to a rod.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Drake Chamberlin
>Athens Electric