[RE-wrenches] larger off-grid system inverter preference

Howie Michaelson howie at suncatchervt.com
Wed Mar 4 21:47:20 PST 2009

Hi all,

Seems large off-grid systems are happening more frequently.  Like most, I
spend a lot of time trying to get my clients to lower their loads wherever
possible, explaining the benefits of doing so from a financial as well as
environmental perspective.

None-the-less, I am currently designing an off-grid system for a primary
residence which will likely have about 10kW solar and either one 48 volt
2,400 amphr string or 2 48 volt 1,800 amphr strings.  The peak load will
be perhaps 8,000 Watts. and consumption of perhaps 25 to 40 kWh/day
(summer to winter).  The remaining load will be made up by generator, and
maybe eventually wind (they wanted to put a vertical access turbine on
their "barn"/garage roof, which I am still actively discouraging, but they
like the look...).  This is the largest off-grid system I have designed to
date.

I'm leaning toward using 2 SI 5048's, but not having used SI's before, I
am wondering about 4 OB VFX3648's (since I'm quite familiar with them).  I
like the sophistication and options (and I believe better charging
efficiency) of the the SI's, but would be interested in feedback from
others experience.

Thanks as always,
Howie
--
Howie Michaelson
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™

Sun Catcher, LLC
Renewable Energy Systems Sales and Service
VT Solar & Wind Incentive Program Partner
http://www.SunCatcherVT.com
(cell) 802-272-0004
(home) 802-439-6096