[RE-wrenches] 4/0 GEC

russ at solarray.com russ at solarray.com
Tue Mar 3 17:14:47 PST 2009

Hi Drake,

The NEC says that "The size of the grounding electrode conductor for a
dc system shall be as specified in 250.166(A) and (B), except as
permitted by 250.166(C) through (E)."

The "except as permitted by" is what allows us to not run a 4/0 GEC.

250.166(C) says that the GEC doesn't have to be larger than #6 copper
for connection to a rod, pipe, or plate electrode.  (I don't think
pipe-as-part-of-the-plumbing-system is what is meant by "pipe" there,
since 250.52(A)(5) and (A)(7) are referenced, and 250.52(A)(1) deals
separately with metal water pipes that come up from underground.)

250.166(D) says that the GEC doesn't have to be larger than #4 copper
for connection to a concrete encased electrode.

No mention is made of the maximum size of GEC connected to the plumbing
system in section 250.166, so the size of the GEC in that case might
have to comply with (A) and be way larger than necessary.

That's how I see it, at least.

Russ

Russell Mueller
SolarRay Inc.