[RE-wrenches] Is a Smart Phone a Useful Tool in PV?

Jeff Oldham starpower4u at juno.com
Tue Mar 3 14:33:02 PST 2009

I have a iPhone 3G and it has made my life A LOT easier and it is absolutely amazing. I appreciate the ability to keep up on emails while out of the office and 'net research. The 30,000+ applications are nice to have access to, I love the bubble and bulls-eye levels and roof pitch app. as well and the Unit Converters. I like having up to 20 hours of movies for those long flights (and camping!) and the NY Times downloaded as well as streaming of my favorite radio stations from all over the world.
Having said that, I would not buy another iPhone for the following serious shortcomings - it takes great photos but WILL NOT shoot a movie clip. It is very awkward to import documents (there is an app for it, but it is not smooth). Worse of all, you cannot create, modify or cut-n-paste a document. Other than a Note Pad you can type into, this is a major downside. I've had other Smart Phones based on Windows Mobile and find them far more useful, although most lack the massive memory (up to 16GB) of the iPhone, it is really only useful for movies and ridiculous amounts of music as it is also an iPod.
I would not be w/o one and if I was buying now I would get a Blackberry Storm. All Apple would have to do to keep me is shoot video and have a word processor just like the cheapest of Smart Phones do. Also all Smart Phones will sync to your Windows Outlook and all changes are shared between phone and computer, like Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes as well as all Bookmarks.
My 2cents...
-jeff o