[RE-wrenches] How large is too large?

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Mon Mar 2 11:02:36 PST 2009

We had a similar lead come up a year ago, although the lodge in this case
was 22 miles from mains power and 10K feet up.
Thank goodness we had contracted $3500 in design fees up front to do all of
the load projection and design research work. We determined that the
batteries were the limiting factor: at 48V, about 2,000 amp-hours, and two
or three strings max (depends on expected DOD), we couldn't provide a
battery bank large enough.

The only solution we arrived at was using Sunny Islands in 3 phase,
redundant generators, duplicate services, Sunny Boys on arrays, and Windy
Boys on two Provens to build an AC-coupled microgrid. That way we had
duplicate battery banks.

When we presented the general design approach to the owner's (common
household name, largest private landowner in the US) representatives through
the electrical engineer, with a preliminary estimate around $700K, they
decided to run the lodge on generators.

Allan Sindelar
 <mailto:allan at positiveenergysolar.com> allan(at)positiveenergysolar.com
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer