[RE-wrenches] Efficient water softener?

Kurt Albershardt info at es-ee.com
Fri Feb 27 09:05:45 PST 2009

On 2/27/09 12:20 AM, Bill Loesch wrote:
> My compliments to solve a water quality problem. Tremendous benefits
> for every other water using appliance, valve, and faucet in the dwelling.

Agreed, and I'll add that it's critical to have the water tested before
you propose a treatment strategy.  Almost all softeners will benefit
from a sediment prefilter (anything from a simple 4x10 cartridge system
to a multi-stage mixed media system with backflush.)  Small amounts of
iron can be removed by a softener, but will require some minor tweaks to
the standard setup:  You can have Turbulator distribution tubes
installed in the tanks, which will agitate the media more vigorously
during regen and help kick up the (heavier) precipitated iron
particles.  Then toss a cup of powdered citric acid into the brine tank
every few months (lowers the pH of the brine, increasing iron
solubility.)  Specialized resins are available for all sorts of issues.

We are about to try a completely different method of dealing with scale
based on a ceramic media with a nanoprofiled surface which causes the
calcium and magnesium ions to form microscopic crystals, thus preventing
their adhesion to surfaces.  They have some convincing case studies with
4,000 PPM feed water, and (unlike softened water) there would be no
compatibility issues with stainless HX surfaces.